Bull Ring, Birmingham
The Bull Ring is located on the edge of the sandstone city ridge. This results in the steep gradient towards Digbeth and the slope drops about 15 meters from New Street to St Martin’s Church.
Being a commercial area of Birmingham England, the Bull Ring has been an important feature of Birmingham since the Middle Ages, when its market was first held. The market legally began 1154 when Peter de Bermingham, a local landowner, obtained a Charter of Marketing Rights from King Henry II. It has been developed into a shopping centre twice; first in the 1960s, and then in the 2000s.
The current shopping centre of Bull Ring is one of the largest in the UK. The center also houses one of the four Selfridges department stores, which were designed by Future Systems at the Bullring. The others being in London, Manchester, and Trafford. It has been a huge success, attracting commerce from all over the world.